Thursday, 17. April 2014 - 11:04
17. 06. 09. - 09:00
The mother of a teenage girl killed while she was using her laptop in the bath has urged other parents to make sure they warn children about the dangers of electricity.
Flavia Maria Boricea, 17, was killed instantly after she decided to use her laptop in the bath.
Local media had changed the name of the teenager to Maria Barbu to protect the family's right to privacy - but in an interview with the Austrian Times Flavia's mother asked for the teenager’s real name to be used.
She said her daughter had tried to plug the power into the socket with wet hands after the battery had died as she used the device for a lengthy period in her home in Brasov, central Romania.
Flavia was found dead by her father who had called medics - who could only confirm the death of the teenager. Her only injury was a burn mark on her hand.
The move follows just two months after the deaths of two children who died when they dropped a hair-dryer into the water as they played in the bath in Germany.
The sisters - aged four and six - were discovered by their mum when she realised their bath time play had gone quiet suddenly. Paramedics in Lustadt were unable to revive the girls who electrocuted themselves when they dropped a hair dryer into the tub.
In an interview with the Austrian Times Flavia’s mother who declined to be identified herself confirmed her daughter had been found found dead with the laptop next to her.
The woman gave permission for this newspaper to use Flavia’s real name so that other families could be warned of the dangers of electricity in the home.
Local police said there were no indications that the laptop had any technical issues that could have led to the terrible accident.
Tourism ministry prepares better strategy to attract Chinese tourists
Around 45,000 Chinese tourists visited Croatia in 2013.
Croat pensioners wrongly thought they were millionaires
An elderly couple in Croatia thought they were millionaires after they found a pile of money in their home - but they had forgotten that former Yugoslav dinars are no longer valid.
Tickets already sold out for two of Croatia's matches at the World Cup
Two out of ten sold out matches for the World Cup in Brazil are those where Croatian national team will play.
Damir Kajin launches a new political party in Istria
Independent representative in the national parliament, Damir Kajin has announced the launch of the regional political party Istrian Democrats.
French court stops the case against Bob Dylan after Croats sued him
A court in the French capital Paris has stopped the case against the rock star Bob Dylan over inciting racism.
Colombian Croat football player wanted by Genoa and Vitesse
He still admits there was no interest from major Croatian clubs to sign him, but the interest came from other countries. "Not from Croatia. From Holland, Vitesse FC. They wanted to sign me on scholarship basis as well as Genoa from Italy", the player has revealed to Croatian Times.
Foreign investment in sixty percent of a decrease
Foreign investment in Croatia has seen a decrease of 60 percent in 2013 in comparison with the year before.
Toxic smoke hits Zagreb
A fire in a waste recycling centre in the Croatian capital Zagreb has been brought under control over Monday night and early Tuesday morning. However, firemen are expected to be there controlling it for another two days.
Davor Suker won a new mandate as CFF president
Davor Suker, 46, has won a new mandate as the president of Croatian Football Federation.
Snow returns to Croatia
Snowing has returned shortly in Croatia on Tuesday hitting spots like Biokovo mountain in the south, Begovo Razdolje in western part of the country, and even Sljeme near the capital Zagreb.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Croatian OAP in court after selling unusual stop smoking treatment|
|Tax authorities block Suncani Hvar|
|Grave diggers turned into gold diggers in Osijek|
|Agrokor signs a deal with Sberbank|
|Rovinj mayor gets Italian medal of honour|