Thursday, 12. December 2013 - 13:12
16. 06. 12. - 10:00
German police say they have identified the boy who claims to have been living rough in the woods with his father as a Dutch man aged 20 after pictures were seen by his family.
Officers have already been shown photographs of the boy after they were contacted by family members who saw the recent photographs and they warn that the young man is likely to end up with a substantial bill to cover the costs of the police investigation to track down his family.
A police spokesman from the Dutch city of Hengelo near the German city of Gronau on the Dutch border identified Ray as Robin v. H. Only the initials of his surname were used because of German data protection laws.
A police spokesman in Hengelo said that the 20-year-old boy had been positively identified by his stepmother.
He said: "We have spoken to his family and his friends and we have seen a photo where he has a chain with his name on which confirms who he is. This was a mystery for us and we are pleased that it has been solved."
Police had already worked out that the boy was not a native English speaker and estimated that he was about 17 years old.
He had refused to allow his photo to be issued to the world which meant that officials had not been able to come further in identifying him.
German police spokesman Michael Maass was less delighted about the end result of the investigation saying: "It was a really frustrating case and took up a lot of time. That will have to be paid for and that will eventually end up at his door."
PM Milanovic surprises tourism industry with chemicals story
Croatian Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic has questioned the Croatian tourism strategy of keeping the Mediterranean "as it used to be" by offering to help in transport of deadly chemicals from Syria.
Peljesac bridge is best solution to connect the south of Croatia
Building of the Peljesac Bridge to connect the south of Croatia with the rest of the country could start in 2015.
Bad luck for Boban family
Retired football star Zvonimir Boban and his wife Leonarda were about to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their marriage, but instead she has ended up in a hospital after he accidentally ran over her leg with a car.
Custody extended for Nadan Vidosevic
The president of the Croatian Economic Chamber, Nadan Vidosevic, has been ordered to stay in custody for another two months.
Croatia takes Tivoli Ecoresort as its base in Brazil
Croatian Football Federation has chosen Tivoli Ecoresort in Bahia region as a base for the national team during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Former commander of Goli otok prison dies at 94
Former commander of notorious communist prison Goli otok in northern Adriatic has died.
Italian-Croatian association marks its 20th anniversary
The association used to send humanitarian aid to Croatia during the War for Independence and has later continued to develop relations between the two countries.
Cemetery employees steal gold from graves for 20 years
Fourteen employees of a cemetery and funeral service in Osijek, eastern Croatia, were sacked for stealing gold and jewellery from graves.
Electric Elephant returns to Tisno
Electric Elephant music festival has announced its seventh edition will take part in southern town of Tisno on the island of Murter from 10 to 14 July next year.
Niko Kovac to give the final list of World Cup team by 2 June
Croatian national football team coach Niko Kovac is expected to make his first broad list of players for World Cup in Brazil by 13 May.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|French backed company takes over Zagreb Airport|
|Croatia in a group with Brazil|
|Heart shaped island got two scars|
|Croatian Motorways officials offer resignation|
|Dubrovnik marks 22nd anniversary of bombing|