Friday, 13. December 2013 - 22:12
15. 08. 12. - 13:00
The victim of an horrific acid attack that left her blind and disfigured has been given an astonishing donation of 2.25 million GBP for re-constructive surgery to rebuild her face.
Sonali Mukherjee has been told that a syndicate of wealthy tycoons, celebrities and actors have sent the funds to the the B L Kapoor Hospital in New Delhi where she is expected to begin her treatment later this month.
India was shocked into action by heartbreaking before and after pictures of 26-year-old Sonali, who bravely posed for pictures showing her injuries to publicise her plight.
Intruders - accused of sexually abusing her for years - broke into her home in Dhanbad, Jharkhand, in 2003 and poured the acid over her face while she was sleeping.
The attack left the pretty young student facially disfigured, deaf and partially blind.
But tomorrow (Aug 14) Sonali will meet with her surgeon Sanjeev Bagai to start planning her re-constructive surgery, confirmed Indian TV executive, Anu Ranjan, who organised the VIP appeal.
Ranjan - president of the Indian Television Academy - gathered millions of Rupees from Gitanjali Jewels, actor Juhi Chawla and Bollywood producer Ramesh Taurani apart from her actor husband Shashi Ranjan.
"Sonali will be admitted to hospital on August 14 and after a few days of pre-operative care, her first surgical procedure will start on August 19," she said.
One of the donors, jeweller Mehul Choksi, said: "When Anu informed us about Sonali's plight, I was horrified to see that even in this modern age, women continue to be subjected to such violence. I felt this was a fit case to contribute to."
Describing the attack, Sonali said: "I woke up feeling strange. Within a few seconds it felt like my whole body was on fire. I kept screaming in pain till I passed out."
Although a series of 22 operations has left her family virtually bankrupt, Sonali has not received a single Rupee in aide from government officials.
Handball team announced ahead of European Championship
Croatian handball national team coach Slavko Goluza has announced the first list of 28 players for the European Championship in Denmark next month.
Opatija announces best tourism results in 22 years
The Northern Adriatic town of Opatija has seen the best year in tourism since Croatia went independent in 1991.
Foreign masseurs and shepherds welcome in Croatia
At the same time authorities rejected requests to employ 4,500 foreign workers in shipbuilding industry or new workers in construction business
Military cooperation discussed between Croatia and Kuwait
The Chief of Staffs for the Croatian Armed Forces and the Kuwaiti Armed Forces met to discuss issues of common interests.
Zagreb gets first 4DX format cinema
The first movie shown using this technology in Croatia was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Snav announces new lines between Ancona and Split
Italian ferry liner Snav have announced to have a daily line between Ancona and Croatian port of Split from April to October next year.
Ivan KIasnic denies an alleged move to Hajduk
Former Croatian national football team forward Ivan Klasnic has denied the alleged move to Hajduk Split as Croatian media speculated earlier this week.
Fire damages a sugar factory in Osijek
Sugar factory Secerana was damaged in a fire in eastern Croatian town of Osijek on Wednesday evening.
Sberbank branch robbed in Zagreb
A branch of the Russian bank Sberbank was robbed in Croatian capital Zagreb on Wednesday.
Pahulja project to ban politicians fails in Croatia
Project's founder and former TV star Hamed Bangoura has decided to stop the project as he got "no support from intellectuals".
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Croatia in a group with Brazil|
|Heart shaped island got two scars|
|Dubrovnik marks 22nd anniversary of bombing|
|Peljesac bridge is best solution to connect the south of Croatia|
|Croatia and Qatar share energy expertise|