Friday, 13. December 2013 - 03:12
30. 11. 12. - 15:00
A Chinese man is marking a decade long dispute with local council officials after they refused to pay him compensation to move out to make way for a new expressway at Taizhou in Zhejiang province.
Tao Pushen, now aged 53, said: "There were a lot of homes in the area and the council promised to pay a certain amount of money to allow people to move. Most people moved out before they had the money but I demanded the money first – and I was proved right because the others didn't get the cash before their homes were demolished and were left with nothing."
He said when the council did turn up with money it was far short of what was agreed and so he refused to move.
He added: "It was a stand-off for a year and then one night I woke up to find they had started to demolish part of the house and had already got rid of one room when I chased the workers off with my sons. After that I persuaded my parents and other relatives to live here and we always have someone in one of the rooms to stop them stealing any more of the property."
The council then cut off the gas and electricity as well as the water supply but that still hasn't deterred the family that have remained living in the property for a decade now, and with no sign of a settlement to the problem
He said: "We recently purchased a portable power supply and with that we were able to supply power to some CCTV cameras which allow us to keep an eye on the property even when not everyone is there. The pictures go to a server located somewhere else so that even if the cameras are destroyed it will still be possible to access the images."
The council has declined to comment on why they don't simply pay the compensation and allow the road project to be completed.
Snav announces new lines between Ancona and Split
Italian ferry liner Snav have announced to have a daily line between Ancona and Croatian port of Split from April to October next year.
Ivan KIasnic denies an alleged move to Hajduk
Former Croatian national football team forward Ivan Klasnic has denied the alleged move to Hajduk Split as Croatian media speculated earlier this week.
Fire damages a sugar factory in Osijek
Sugar factory Secerana was damaged in a fire in eastern Croatian town of Osijek on Wednesday evening.
Sberbank branch robbed in Zagreb
A branch of the Russian bank Sberbank was robbed in Croatian capital Zagreb on Wednesday.
Pahulja project to ban politicians fails in Croatia
Project's founder and former TV star Hamed Bangoura has decided to stop the project as he got "no support from intellectuals".
PM Milanovic surprises tourism industry with chemicals story
Croatian Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic has questioned the Croatian tourism strategy of keeping the Mediterranean "as it used to be" by offering to help in transport of deadly chemicals from Syria.
Peljesac bridge is best solution to connect the south of Croatia
Building of the Peljesac Bridge to connect the south of Croatia with the rest of the country could start in 2015.
Bad luck for Boban family
Retired football star Zvonimir Boban and his wife Leonarda were about to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their marriage, but instead she has ended up in a hospital after he accidentally ran over her leg with a car.
Custody extended for Nadan Vidosevic
The president of the Croatian Economic Chamber, Nadan Vidosevic, has been ordered to stay in custody for another two months.
Croatia takes Tivoli Ecoresort as its base in Brazil
Croatian Football Federation has chosen Tivoli Ecoresort in Bahia region as a base for the national team during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Croatia in a group with Brazil|
|Heart shaped island got two scars|
|Dubrovnik marks 22nd anniversary of bombing|
|Peljesac bridge is best solution to connect the south of Croatia|
|Croatia and Qatar share energy expertise|