Thursday, 12. December 2013 - 12:12
01. 02. 13. - 15:00
A family friend who had a row with a Polish couple has been arrested after he snatched their baby and then dumped the apparently unharmed child in one of the baby post boxes designed for unwanted children.
According to Polish police the post box had been set up in order for desperate women perhaps struggling with a secret pregnancy to leave the child no questions asked. They were set up across Europe after a spate of incidents in which babies were simply abandoned on streets or in doorways and in some cases died before they were found.
In the latest incident the 21-year-old man had apparently had a row with the Polish couple who were the parents of the 18 month old baby and who lived at Sulejow in Poland.
Police said he used a moment when the mother was out shopping and the father had gone into the back garden to grab the child and run off.
Almost two hours later he then dumped the child in the baby post box where managers notified police just at the time as the missing baby's mother arrived to say that the baby had vanished.
Police spokeswoman Joanna Kack said: "The mother and baby were united almost immediately and the suspect who was quickly identified was arrested for kidnapping."
The baby was taken to hospital for a medical check before being given a clean bill of health and allowed to return home with his parents.
PM Milanovic surprises tourism industry with chemicals story
Croatian Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic has questioned the Croatian tourism strategy of keeping the Mediterranean "as it used to be" by offering to help in transport of deadly chemicals from Syria.
Peljesac bridge is best solution to connect the south of Croatia
Building of the Peljesac Bridge to connect the south of Croatia with the rest of the country could start in 2015.
Bad luck for Boban family
Retired football star Zvonimir Boban and his wife Leonarda were about to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their marriage, but instead she has ended up in a hospital after he accidentally ran over her leg with a car.
Custody extended for Nadan Vidosevic
The president of the Croatian Economic Chamber, Nadan Vidosevic, has been ordered to stay in custody for another two months.
Croatia takes Tivoli Ecoresort as its base in Brazil
Croatian Football Federation has chosen Tivoli Ecoresort in Bahia region as a base for the national team during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Former commander of Goli otok prison dies at 94
Former commander of notorious communist prison Goli otok in northern Adriatic has died.
Italian-Croatian association marks its 20th anniversary
The association used to send humanitarian aid to Croatia during the War for Independence and has later continued to develop relations between the two countries.
Cemetery employees steal gold from graves for 20 years
Fourteen employees of a cemetery and funeral service in Osijek, eastern Croatia, were sacked for stealing gold and jewellery from graves.
Electric Elephant returns to Tisno
Electric Elephant music festival has announced its seventh edition will take part in southern town of Tisno on the island of Murter from 10 to 14 July next year.
Niko Kovac to give the final list of World Cup team by 2 June
Croatian national football team coach Niko Kovac is expected to make his first broad list of players for World Cup in Brazil by 13 May.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|French backed company takes over Zagreb Airport|
|Croatia in a group with Brazil|
|Heart shaped island got two scars|
|Croatian Motorways officials offer resignation|
|Dubrovnik marks 22nd anniversary of bombing|