Friday, 13. December 2013 - 22:12
17. 07. 12. - 11:00
Following the current visit to the Republic of Croatia by Australia's Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Mr Richard Marles, the Justice4Six committee is asking members of the Croatian Sabor to raise the issue of the Croatian Six judicial review with the visiting Australian delegation.
The Croatian Six were six men jailed in 1981 for an average of 10 years on trumped up terrorism charges, which they have claimed all along was a set-up orchestrated by the UDBa, the secret service of the former Yugoslavia.
For the past 31 years, these six men of Croatian descent have been asking for a review into their trial and a full judicial inquiry into their case.The Justice4Six committee feels that all Croatian politicians should take this opportunity to raise the issue of human rights and the right of all people to.
According to a spokesperson for the Justice4Six committee, Mr Branko Miletic, this is a perfect opportunity for Croatia's politicians to do the right thing for six Croatian men, whose lives were ruined, whose families were destroyed and whose community was defamed by an manipulated and flawed judicial process.
"There have been numerous attempts by other Australian politicians to have an inquiry into this case, and each time these attempts have been shut down by Australia's spy service, ASIO. We feel this is the perfect time to ask the Australian delegation why these six men are still to this day being denied natural justice", says Mr Miletic.
Just prior to his departure from Australia, Mr Marles said that, "Croatia is a country with which Australia shares strong community links," "I look forward to discussing with my Croatian counterparts ways in which we can work more closely together, particularly as we celebrate 20 years of diplomatic relations this year."
Mr Miletic pointed out that "Croatian-Australian relations can never be fully normalised until issues like the illegal jailing of the Croatian Six remained unresolved."
Handball team announced ahead of European Championship
Croatian handball national team coach Slavko Goluza has announced the first list of 28 players for the European Championship in Denmark next month.
Opatija announces best tourism results in 22 years
The Northern Adriatic town of Opatija has seen the best year in tourism since Croatia went independent in 1991.
Foreign masseurs and shepherds welcome in Croatia
At the same time authorities rejected requests to employ 4,500 foreign workers in shipbuilding industry or new workers in construction business
Military cooperation discussed between Croatia and Kuwait
The Chief of Staffs for the Croatian Armed Forces and the Kuwaiti Armed Forces met to discuss issues of common interests.
Zagreb gets first 4DX format cinema
The first movie shown using this technology in Croatia was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Snav announces new lines between Ancona and Split
Italian ferry liner Snav have announced to have a daily line between Ancona and Croatian port of Split from April to October next year.
Ivan KIasnic denies an alleged move to Hajduk
Former Croatian national football team forward Ivan Klasnic has denied the alleged move to Hajduk Split as Croatian media speculated earlier this week.
Fire damages a sugar factory in Osijek
Sugar factory Secerana was damaged in a fire in eastern Croatian town of Osijek on Wednesday evening.
Sberbank branch robbed in Zagreb
A branch of the Russian bank Sberbank was robbed in Croatian capital Zagreb on Wednesday.
Pahulja project to ban politicians fails in Croatia
Project's founder and former TV star Hamed Bangoura has decided to stop the project as he got "no support from intellectuals".
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Croatia in a group with Brazil|
|Heart shaped island got two scars|
|Dubrovnik marks 22nd anniversary of bombing|
|Peljesac bridge is best solution to connect the south of Croatia|
|Croatia and Qatar share energy expertise|